Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Comfort Tinola

I saw a recipe two weeks ago called “Pinatisang Manok” or translated in English would sound like “Chicken cooked in Fish Sauce”, I think. The author mentioned its close resemblance with “Tinolang Manok” or Chicken boiled in ginger and fish sauce a.k.a Patis, I think, again.

Tinolang Manok is my comfort food since I learned to sip my soup from a spoon. I could sip its soup using a straw for all I care as long as I can slurp that gingerly hot broth reminding me of everything that comfort me. Since I got married though, that chicken in the Tinola was replaced by pork spare ribs as it was my wife’s preferred meat. It still taste splendidly and comforting but it is not chicken. She calls it “Tinolang Buto-buto” and it sure sounds very local. Like a typical Filipino name when one repeats a name to make it sound cute like “Jing-jing”, “Bing-bing”, or “Ket-ket.”

I have to admit that I also like this version but it is not chicken. There are no Kentucky Fried Buto-buto (KFB), or Max’s Fried Buto-buto. It is hard to struggle eating hard to reach meat stuck in the middle of the bone joints. Yes, the bone marrow is an extra treat but rather my heart misses it or its sure hard core cholesterol blocking my veins. I have to admit that I eat my favorite chicken’s skin and was informed of its consequences so I just indulge in denying whatever consequence it will bring.

I cooked Tinolang Manok last week and while it was not that typical healthy boiled chicken due to salt and sugar and some magic powder, it was just perfect for my taste.

Tinolang Manok

Ingredients

½ kilo Chicken (preferably Thigh and wing part, or as long as it has skin on it)
1 clove Garlic
1 bulb Onion
1 Ginger
1 cube Chicken Bouillon
3-4 tbs. Fish Sauce
A pinch of Sugar
Papaya
Chili Leaves
Cooking Oil

How to do it

1. In a pan, sauté ginger, garlic then onion.
2. Put chicken pieces and cook until a bit brown
3. Add chicken Bouillon
4. Put the fish sauce and water.
5. Put Papaya.
6. Let it boil for 15 minutes under medium heat.
7. Taste and add Sugar, and fish sauce depending on your required taste.
8. Lower the flame to low heat and add Chili Leaves.
9. Turn off the stove and serve with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails